Caring for your hair extensions when you are at home is essential. If you want them to stay in the best condition and attached to your head for the longest time.
No doubt you have saved up your hard earned money. Or given your credit card a bit of a bashing so that you could afford your hair extensions. Especially if you have lengthened or boosted the volume of your hair. With a head of 100% real hair extensions such as Great Lengths Hair Extensions.
Or maybe you have just been thinking of getting hair extensions and are doing a little research beforehand. Either way these tips will help make your life easier.
If you are contemplating adding extensions to your hair. You might have quite a few questions which you may find the answers to here
To grow your hair long naturally would take you around 3 years. Over this time you would slowly be adjusting as to how you would look after, wash and maintain your hair.
Suddenly with your new hair extensions you now have a lot more hair on your head.
This is fantastic for you as now have the hair and look you always dreamed of.
But overnight you will have to change your routine of hair care to be able to properly take care of your new found hair.
How long you can keep in the hair extensions in depends on various factors. Including how well they are fitted.
Which type of extensions and fitment you have chosen.
Fitments that have flexible bonds are much less harsh on your hair you will find these on high quality hair extensions.
But most importantly your home care maintenance plays a critical role.
Your Hair Extensions Have Just Been Fitted.
Do not shampoo your hair for at least 48 hours after having the hair extensions fitted as this will give the bonds time to settle.
Before sleeping pull your hair back into a soft ponytail as this will prevent your hair from tangling. I would also recommended that you do this when in the pool going for a swim.
In fact invest in a silk pillow case as this is less harsh on your hair
After some time you will see small quantities of hair at the base of the bond area. This is due to the aspect that the scalp normally sheds around a 150 hairs a day.
These hairs would naturally fall away but now because of your hair extensions attached to your hair. They are unable to fall and so now will stay attached to the bonds.
This is quite normal and should not be read as hair being pulled out from the head by your Hair Extensions themselves.
How You Wash Your Hair Extensions Is Important.
- Always use a shampoo that is Sulfate free or if available the Shampoo that is made by the hair extension company.
- When showering always tilt your head backwards and cleanse from the top of your head down towards the ends.
- When applying conditioner to your hair extensions do so only from the mid lengths to ends of the hair. Separating the hair gently with your fingers as your go. Finally comb through with a wide tooth comb
- A hair treatment or mask on your new long hair is great for keeping those hair extensions healthy. Even more so if you have decided on having real hair extensions put into your hair. Do not put your conditioner or hair mask on the bonds as this will tend to weaken them over time.
- After shampooing squeeze out the excess water and then wrap your hair in a towel so as to remove even extra moisture.
When Drying Your New Hair.
- When drying your hair make sure that you dry the root/bond area of the extensions thoroughly. I would highly recommend that you do this first. So as to ensure that the bond area is completely dry.
- This is important so as to help avoid any bond breakdown.
- When using a hair dryer avoid blasting the hair. Always use a medium to low heat. Then finish off your style by using the cold air button once the hair is completely dry.
It Is Essential That You Brush Your Hair Extensions.
- Brush your hair twice a day using a soft bristle brush .Do not use hard brush strokes.
- Separate the strands using your fingers. Take sections of your hair and clasp the bond area in one hand whilst brushing with the other. Starting from the tips and working up till close to the scalp. Finally gently brush through the root area of the section. Work all through your head in this way. This will help avoid matting in or around the root area.
- A brush with boar bristles is an excellent choice for brushing through your extensions.
- If you have tangles use a wide toothed comb or pick them out gently with the end of a tail comb. Or return to the stylist who fitted them to see if they can help you.
Styling Your Hair Extensions.
- On 100% human hair extensions such as Great Lengths heat devices such as curling irons or straighteners can be used. But do not put them onto the hair bonds themselves. You will not get as much wear from your hair extensions if you do. Due to the bonds breaking down with the high heat.
- If your hair extensions are a fibre mix or if you are not sure. It is best try a small test piece first as the heat devices will in fact melt the fibre.
If You Are A Swimmer.
Swimming is a great form of exercise but before you jump in a few points to remember.
- Always loosely tie back your extensions before entering the water so as to avoid any tangling of your hair.
- Wet your hair completely first so as to prevent the salt water or chlorine sticking to your hair.
- Immediately after you have finished your swim give your hair a shampoo and dry off the base.
- Regular swimming in sea water or chlorine a lot may lessen the longevity of your hair extensions.
How long can you keep the hair extension attached to your hair? This will vary from person to person. But I will say that a major aspect is down to the loving care that you give to your hair extensions.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope you found it interesting. If so please share it.